Tuesday 18 March 2014

When I saw this man prostrating before a ‘god man’ statue…. I realized I’m among the luckiest to know the real God

Who’re the luckiest persons in this world?
By Sheena George
 One day when I was passing by a religious place of another faith, I saw a man prostrating before the statue of a ‘god man’ who lives in another part of the country. I was amused by this ardent expression of his faith without any inhibition. But I thought all his faith was in vain.
   How lucky I’m to know my real God Jesus Christ who loves me so much to give His life for me. Of course, He’s not a man though He came as a man to save us and to let us know about God’s love. I do wonder about this mysterious entity -- God “who knows about everyone everywhere. Everything about us is bare and wide open to the all-seeing eyes of our living God. Nothing can be hidden from Him.” (Hebrew 4: 13).
  I know Jesus Christ is love personified, power personified, glory personified and also mercy personified. Words can’t express Him. I can confidently say that I’m luckier than Bill Gates, or such persons ‘blessed’ with humungous wealth and all other materialistic possessions.
  Many are lucky to know this real God Jesus. I will call them luckiest – they are eternally fortunate to know the real God, Jesus Christ our Creator, Master, Saviour and Friend. 
   I come from a land -- India -- where thousands of years ago, before Christ, Hindu sants chanted while searching for God, Asathoma Sadgamaya... Thamasoma Jyothirgamaya... Mrithyorma Amruthamgamaya (lead us from untruth to truth, from darkness to light, from death to life…), they prayed. Jesus Christ is the only person who said “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12), “I am the way, truth and life”(John14:6).
  I see people believing in the false theory that we’ll end our life here on the earth and there is nothing to look forward. Once I heard a famous Bollywood star commenting on God: “is God a computer to know all the things?” I was shocked at this shallow understanding about God who’s the Creator of the creator (man) of computers.
  We see people worshipping creatures, objects, stars, animals and other men as gods. Many tend to worship so many gods that I can’t imagine how they can please them all or at least some of them. I’m happy that our God delights in us -- His creation. Bible says “For the LORD your God is living among you. He is a mighty saviour. He will take delight in you with gladness. With his love, he will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs," Zephaniah 3:17. Our faith in God pleases Him.
  Sometimes when my children act or talk to me the way they’re not supposed to, I feel pain. But the next moment I see myself loving them again. Here I see God’s character embedded in me. My faith in Him and my eagerness to meet Him increase as He talks to me and directs me about my spiritual and emotional needs through His Word, the Bible .
  For those who know Him, death is not a mystery. We know that our God is waiting there for us to reach Home -- yes our real home, heaven. As the Bible says "What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived" -- the things God has prepared for those who love him.” 1 Corinthians 2:9
  We’re supposed to be His messengers to the world who has not heard about Him or do not understand Him. People shouldn’t die unaware of the fact that Jesus is the Saviour and the Lord whom they can approach at any moment of their life. “You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord.” Jeremiah 29:12.
  So our life must be a message to people who don’t know Him. Our life must reflect His ways and character so that others too get to know Him. This must be our thanksgiving to Jesus who made us luckiest.
 

No comments: